Friday, August 8, 2008

Spiders - what next?


For the few that have not seen it already, a few years ago I got the idea in my head to get a tattoo. Krista actually was the one who found the studio I wound up using - All or Nothing Tattoo ( http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/ ) in Smyrna, GA. I'd had an idea for a tattoo for years but just never found it to be the right time. However, I'd been a key member of a project at work and received a nice bonus check shortly after finding the studio, so I went ahead and made an appointment. I got the spider tattoo because of a very vivid and meaningful dream I'd had shortly before Krista and I got together permanently. In the dream, I was lost, standing before a vast plain with threatening skies and not knowing whether or not to go forward into the distance or turn back. I looked down at my left arm where an impossibly large Wolf Spider was resting. Instead of being afraid, I remember how calm I was and how it seemed that the spider was radiating a sense of purpose, telling me to go forward and brave the unknown. Things got fuzzy after that as dreams do, but I kept that clear image and feeling for years before discovering that the spider is a very revered and meaningful symbol to the Native Americans - referred to as a Totem. To them the spider is the weaver who created the framework of the world and is a spirit guide. I decided that to have had a dream that was so memorable and vivid was worth expressing - so that's why I graced my shoulder with an unearthly looking Wolf Spider. That dream was something I thought about a great deal and it played a big part in my deciding to come to GA to be with Krista for good.

Whoa, deep thoughts! My artist was Jeff Paetzold. He's moved back to Chicago but I check his profile on a great tattoo website once in a while. He does some great work!

No comments: